18th August 2011
Photo with 19 notes
Green Apple books, in the Inner Richmond neighborhood of San Francisco, is one of my favorite bookstores in the entire world, and here is one of the many reasons why:
Exempt Green Apple Books from California Sales Tax Now!
- Amazon is spending $3,000,000+ trying to collect 500,000+ signatures to overturn the new CA law that requires them to collect sales tax. Green Apple Books thinks we, too, should be exempt. Here’s why:
- More than two-thirds of Green Apple’s staff do not have children and therefore should not really contribute tax money to public education;
- Most of the staff members do not own cars, so maintaining good roads isn’t that important. They could just walk;
- Statistics suggest that booksellers are 36% less likely to use emergency services than antiques dealers;
- Although many of the staff at Green Apple do in fact enjoy state and local parks, they sort of think someone other than the bookstore’s customers should pay to maintain them
~ via The Rumpus. Here is a link to their petition responding to Amazon’s bid to win exemption from the California State Tax Fairness law.